Melbourne Scribe

melbournescribe.com - Views on the news, media, politics, MUSU, Melbourne and me

Monday, March 21, 2005

The plot thickens



From the Sunday Age's Spy column:

The grass roots grow ever more complex
Lucy Beaumont

THE plot thickens out Bundoora way. Spy last week detailed the Banyule Council debate about use of the mayoral vehicle that put the ABC's local government satire Grass Roots to shame.

Now comes the bogus newsletter purportedly from Banyule councillor Dean Sherriff. "They've tried to copy the design of my quarterly newsletter," said a peeved Cr Sherriff, who believed the document had been mailed to a few hundred locals. "I'm still getting to the bottom of how many people it's gone to. I believe it's a combination of databases that can only be accessed by councillors or staff." While little of the missive's content can be republished here, it is headlined with Cr Sherriff's apparent resignation from council and makes reference to his past employment by the Melbourne University Student Union, currently the subject of a Supreme Courtordered liquidator's hearing. The second page of the fictional Grimshaw Ward Newssuggests Cr Sherriff may make a bid for state politics with a little help from the Liberal Party. Not likely, said ALP member Sherriff, who also shot down the prankster or pranksters' jibes about building development in the area. "I ran petitions against (the developments) and the College Views we held up for three years with everything short of a bodgy native title claim - and we nearly did that."

Although I do live in Banyule, I don't live in Grimshaw ward, so I haven't seen a copy. But if anyone has, they could drop me a line.

I had a chuckle when browsing the Grass Roots website, and I recalled this character:


A successful, if shady, property developer who seems to have developed a very close relationship with George.

What was that saying about truth and fiction?

4 Comments:

  • At 3/22/2005 9:49 am, Anonymous Anonimouse said…

    not unlike Sherriff to do a phoney mag of his own, mail it to his 3 best mates, and then cry foul, and then blaming his opposition for harassing him

     
  • At 3/22/2005 6:55 pm, Blogger Brent said…

    Unlikely, I would've thought - the MUSU stuff hasn't even made the local newspapers out this way.

     
  • At 3/23/2005 8:05 am, Blogger Alex said…

    Having seen the newsletter in question, I doubt he did it himself.

     
  • At 4/16/2005 1:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home